From:
Judy Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 19:19:30 +0300
I was really depressed by this post. I have been totally unable to
comprehend our hospital's preemie unit protocol of pushing a pacifier on a
preemie to wean him off gavage feeds, but maintaining that he is not
strong enough to be offerred the breast to suck. And now this. And from
Cincinnati, the city where I was born and raised (before moving to Israel
28 years ago....).

Seems to me, tho, that it was in Cincinnati Children's that that
scandalous "study" (and I use the term loosely in this particular
instance) was done claiming that breastfeeding led to the death or severe
neurological damage of babies. Wasn't it published in Pediatrics? Articles
in Times, Newsweek, Wall Street Journal? I can't understand how Pediatrics
could published such a poorly done study that made mind-boggling quantum
leaps.... I would be interested, for old times' sake, if the Cincinnatians
would comment if they know what's going on in my old home town. (And in
case any out there are curious, I was born in 1946 and my mom was told,
before she even TRIED, that she would "not be able to breastfeed". Sigh.)

Judy Holtzer Knopf, WHHS graduate 1964, now in Beer Sheva Israel ("how far
away, Little Rock, A-R-K, Princeton and Jay...")