From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 20:13:40 -0700
tried and true tricks to get
> tongue suckers on the breast.

it's been my experience that tongue suckers are almost always
> black.

  Terry    I also occasionally see infants who suck their tongues (and
none have been black which is not surprising as my practise is mainly
caucasian and native north american).  I find it very helpful to get the
infant to initiate sucking on a finger  then once the pattern is
established to switch them to the breast.  I teach the parents how to do
this (not exactly rocket science) and it resolves very quickly.  Fingers
are firmer than breasts and the tongue naturally comes forward.  I know
there is controversy over introducing 'anything' into an infants mouth and I
respect that opinion.  Obviously this must be done with the infant's permission.
        If the situation is not severe I do the same as Chris and gently
support the tongue. If the mother is holding her breast with her fingers
underneath thumb on top, she can move her fore finger forward and provide
the support.  I always get moms to try this on themselves first so they
understand where and why it is done.
                Regards Rhoda Taylor

--"Without interest and passion nothing great has ever happened in history.
Hegel"
               Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC   Duncan, B.C., Canada--