From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 08:44:21 -0800
 First....not EVERY professional in nutrition insists that we must drink
milk.  I teach college-level Nutrition (and next fall it will also be an
Internet course), and I absolutely do NOT advocate adults drinking milk.
However, we do have an incredibly powerful lobby in the Dairy Council.
That "Got Milk?" campaign as been one of THE most successful health
campaigns ever in terms of people identifying with it.  And, BIG bucks were
paid to the "celebrities" who are in the ads.  Still, my students look at
me as though I were from Mars for saying adults don't need milk. (Actually,
I NEVER have had milk on a regular basis because when my parents "decided
not to bf" I was found to be horribly allergic to CMP, almost died on
formula, and put on special non-casein soy-based formula.  I now handle
small quanitites with homeopathic tx)  Anyway, they also report hearing too
much about brst mlk and bf in my classes ( go figure?)  Fortunately, this
term there was an anthropologist in my class who reinforced the message.
He also brought up very relevant info on how in spite of our societal milk
consumption, we have some of the worst osteoporosis rates in the world
(which some researchers believe to be linked to our high protein
consumption).

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )