From:
Karen Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 07:19:34 -0500
As I read your post about our language concerning when the breasts have
milk, I thought back to recent consults, and my most recent bf
classes....how do I put it?  How do I say it?  I must confess that I most
likely do say "milk coming in"  even after explaining that colostrum is
milk, perfect milk, there in perfect quantities, and the right milk for
your baby during those first feeds etc etc, but I think I do say "milk
coming in".   Thanks for the reminder that how we say information about
breastfeeding does impact the overall picture of what it is all about!!  It
is hard to get rid of all those colloquialisms!!!

It would be fun to make a list of other phrases and colloquialisms that are
habitually used that might be better off changed.  Who has other examples,
including some of those shoulds and musts that were brought up within the
last weeks?

Karen Foard, State College, PA