Wed, 3 Sep 1997 15:12:46 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=us-ascii
MIME-Version:
Reply-To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
My name is Jill Paoli and I am new to Lactnet- hello!  I am a NMAA breastfeeding
Counsellor, and am seeking as much information as possible on breastfeeding after breast
surgery.  I have personal experience with this topic and am listed on a resource list as
such, so that other Counsellors may refer mothers and/or their own queries to me.  I am
leading a workshop on the subject at our next Branch Conference, and having read many
related articles and published papers on the topic, I feel I need some more
"observational" input.

I am particularly interested in
a)the effect of information provided mothers who wish to breastfeed on the out come.
Many of the studies cite, for example, daily weighing of the new born, measuring milk
sufficiency in various ways etc.
b)the effect of loss of nipple sensitivity and protractability on attachment, possible
nipple damage and supply.  (I had partial mastectomy and lymph gland removal with the
incision along the armpit area, which resulted in an inverted and necrotic nipple)
c)the effect of lymphatic oedema, lymphangitis on breastfeeding
d)the amount of glandular tissue vs supply (the studies mostly say that there is a
direct relationship, and I wonder how multiple baby feeding carves up the glandular
tissue)
Even as an experienced Counsellor, I was blissfully unaware that supply may be an issue,
and although I experienced diffulculties, they were surmountable, and I exclusively
breastfed 3 "90th %ile" children (not at the same time, successively!).
Most of the mothers I have counselled have felt fairly doomed before they began and is
it any wonder when MOST mothers worry about sufficiency of supply even with two
perfectly functioning breasts?
ANY feed back, examples, suggestions etc would be most appreciated.

ALL THE BEST!

ATOM RSS1 RSS2