From:
Betty Meeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 00:44:18 -0400
Hi, Lactnetters,

I just came across this explanation for colic in a baby-products catalog
and thought you all would be interested:

The Spring 97 catalog for One Step Ahead ("thoughtfully selected products
to help with baby...every step of the way") offers a "3-piece nursing
collection" (catalog item # 5512) which consists of a breastfeeding pillow,
foot rest, and shawl.

The headline for this item is "Make Breastfeeding More Comfortable." The
introductory blurb for this products states:

"At One Step Ahead we know that breastfeeding can be pretty hard on Mom.
And if your nursing infant senses your tension he can stop feeding too soon
and often becomes colicky. So we put together this special three-piece
Nursing collection to make breastfeeding easier and more comfortable for
you, so it is also more satisfying for baby."

If you want to address this statement, you can send your comments to them
at [log in to unmask]

A letter from Karen Scott inside the catalog includes this P.S.: "If you
have an idea for a new product or just to pass along a few words about One
Step Ahead, I'll be delighted to hear from you. Just drop me a note
anytime."

However, it does not give Ms. Scott's title or specific address.

I intend to send them a note, but I don't know how much weight it will
carry since I have no medical credentials to back me up. I thought some of
you who are more qualified to refute this statement might want to write,
too.

With regards,

   Betty Meeler, whose nursing toddler just got an A-OK checkup from the
same dentist who assured me six months ago that it was only a matter of
time until his teeth rotted out from exposure to breastmilk ("it's just
like giving him maple syrup to drink").