From:
"Curtis L. Spacek" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 21:12:45 -0500
When I finally decided to get serious about my bee hobby last year i read every book on
beekeping that I could get my hands on.In several of these was reference to your
problem.IN a book dated 1914,BEEKEEPING by E.F. Phillips(one of the rural science
series booksfrom L.H.Baily)there was a passage that stated bees will build comb in the
same compass direction that the hive was originally oriented.If the hive is rotated
90deg. the bees will build cross comb in the same compass direction as they did before
the hive was rotated.Apparently the bees use the earth's magnetic feild in navigation
when the sun is hidden by clouds.An interesting side note stated that if a magnet is
placed inside the hive the bees will build comb in tubular cylinders.I have yet to try
this one but it sounds like fun.So to get your hive straightened out you will have to
point the hive in the original compass direction which the hive was in when it was
first started.good luck....curtis,pasadena,Texas
p.s. can anyone tell me how to contact the harris county beekeepers assn?