From:
Rose Straeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 14:19:03 -0500
I am working with a client who had a baby on 5-24, 8 lb 11 oz.

Milk appeared to become fuller as it was changing to mature milk.  I first
saw mother and baby when baby was 11 days old - Baby was not getting hardly
anything at the breast - mother had experienced extremely sore nipples -
especially the left nipple which had a severe crack.  This nipple is dimpled
- mother has been pumping since 6-5 - left breast is now producing more milk
- nipple was better until mother put baby back on that breast on Saturday -
she could not stand the thought of nursing on that side.  Mother hasn't done
as much pumping on the right breast until the last few days - The right
breast seems to have very little milk.

Question - What are the percentages of mothers who have one breast that
won't produce much milk at all - is there any data on this?

2.  For dimpled nipples - do you find dimple rings to work well?  any other
suggestions? - nipple shield?  etc.?

3.  Unfortunately this mother's breast that is producing is also the sore
dimpled side - we had it improved greatly put nursing irrates it more than
pumping it seems.  If I don't find answers I will loose this one all
together - I don't like to loose any mother and baby as a nursing relationship.

Thanks for your help.

Rose Marie Straeter, IBCLC
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/3345
B.A.B.Y. http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/3345/baby.html