From:
Khalid Aziz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 00:18:09 -0400
As a pediatrician I see cow's milk as the commonest "junk" food in North
America.  Parents give it to children to "top-up" dietary fat and calories,
which are often not needed or which should be provided from breastmilk or a
more varied diet.  Cow's milk has no fibre, causes poor iron balance, and
is associated with lactose intolerance.  A significant proportion of people
develop cow's milk allergy and intolerance.

In my opinion the relationship that dieticians and our colleagues have with
cow's milk is unhealthy (both for them and our children).  I have often
wondered whether a health warning would be wise on whole milk, particularly
to say that it is unsuitable for infants - this is the recommendation of
our professional bodies!

The amounts of milk recommended for older children and adults should be
considered maximum amounts rather than minimum because of the fat content
and the risk that other equally important foods may be omitted.

Khalid