Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 09:47:15 -0600
I would be surprised if an AAP convention was not sponsored by companies
that make infant formulas. This sponsorship would preclude the
participation of all groups (LLL, ILCA and maybe others) who have a
strict policy of not accepting sponsorship from those companies. If the
formula makers are just fellow exhibitors it would be okay, but when
they underwrite the conference, it is considered to be a no-no.

It is a bit of a double-edged sword, because while we can remain
ethically pure, those companies can (and do) basically buy our absence
just by throwing money at these events, so we are absent, and they are
highly visible.

I'm not sure what the answer to this is.

Catherine Mallon
La Leche League Canada Leader
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Canada