From:
Judy Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 19:38:12 -0400
Debbie,
      I am sure I speak for many when I say that your Lactation-colleagues
are keeping you in their thoughts. Although I cannot imagine you losing your
job over this situation in NICU, my heart goes out to you for all the crap
you will be made to listen to because of it. It is , more so all the time,
especially after Liz's great work on Leeza, the unfortunate truth that some
people simply do not want to know anything about the real facts concerning
nursing. Yes, mother's are stressed out especially when baby's in the NICU -
that's why they need so much support and good information about how to
improve a bad situation as quickly and to the fullest extent possible.  I'm
sure you were working hard to be supportive and helpful, dare I say you
exerted a Herculean effort to do so, and yet she ran yelling "there's a BF
zealot in my soup!" sort of. There is sometimes no winning . I even suspect
that this mom may been providing her milk as product, and not interested in
the process part of it.Even though they need this, and deserve this, they
will sometimes reject it. Why? Very complicated I think. Will this be the
same mother who  years from now, if her poor baby becomes an
insulin-dependent person, be yelling, " but nobody told me..."? Having seen
the devastation that Diabetes can wreak - as I'm sure you have- I would not
wish it upon anyone, and would also do my best to help the next generation
escape its ravages. That's what you did, your best. Sometimes it seems we are
safer not doing our best, and being mediocre/PC/wimpy/polite/silent. I say
"live dangerously!. I'm sure you are in good company! All the best, Judy
Fram, Brooklyn, NY