From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 23:09:05 +0000
Ruthy, I consider it appropriate and ethical for you to refuse to
assist someone to go into independent practice without appropriate
training, supervision and without appropriate certification. Whether
you want to help someone set up in competition with you is secondary
issue, where once again you have every right to refuse.

You have raised some pertinent  issues about professionalism. The
IBLCE's primary purpose is to serve the best interests of mothers
and babies by setting standards and by certifying only those who can
provide quality care. Mothers and babies deserve no less, and that
is why it is there. We should not be encouraging anyone to set up in
a business which provides less.

It would be a different issue if she were asking you to take her
into your practice as a student and have you supervise her until she
is competent to be independent, a few years' from now.

I think you should refuse her request on ethical grounds and make
her aware that she cannot possibly provide quality care after two
week's training. She won't even have begun to know what she doesn't
know. Get her a copy of ILCA's excellent Standards of Practice and
tell her that unless she is working under supervision, she first has
to be independently competent in every standard. Can you scare her
out of this venture? Remind her that would be leaving herself WIDE
open to litigation. Remind her that mismanaged babies can die or
become brain damaged.

What is it about breastfeeding?  What other profession would people
expect to join and set up in private practice with only two week's
training? Ask her if she could help you become a dental hygienist in
two weeks?  Why not a dentist?

Ros Escott BAppSc IBCLC
Tasmania, Australia
The shortest training program that *claims* to make you an LC in
this country takes about 6 weeks - we must be slow.