From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:59:19 -0400
Personally, after thinking this one over, I find the idea of giving
physicians free entrance to ILCA conf in their city a little upsetting. The
LCS, who make little money, have to pay, while other people who need the
information as well, and who generally receive higher pay, get to go free? I
find this a slight to the LC, the RD, etc...Some think it builds good will.
I find it a bit insulting.

I think that everyone should be treated equally, and this does not mean
extending all sorts of perks to folks who can afford to pay their way.  The
issue is moot, anyway, because most doctors would not attend a non-MD
conference.  The problem is not that lactation  information is unavailable.
Instead, the issue is that many health care providers find it
non-mandatory/important.  Breastfeeding is a non-subject.

My question is this...I  wonder if there are other topics of information, ie
diabetes, cancer, etc, in children that also go neglected by a majority of
health care providers. Why is breastfeeding ignored?  One would not think of
ignoring diabetes...so why is breastfeeding the poor relation?  I am
fascinated by this omission....of a topic that is addressed in every
pediatric office every day of the year. When my children are sick, I think
twice...and three times, about the info I get.  I used to be confident..but
no more...instead I worry that there are black holes of information lurking...

Kathleen

Just My Humble Opinion.
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html