From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 17:42:45 +0100
Jeanette -

re shells for engorgement:  I heard an interesting technique recently from
Jean Cotterman (of the long-ago Cotterman technique.  Ever hear of it?
Similar to Hoffman, I think).  She has mom put her finger*tips* in a circle
around the base of the nipple on an engorged breast and press toward the
chest for a minute or two (literally a minute or two).  As I understood
her, it presses the milk and edema out of the way temporarily, allowing
baby to latch and do the real softening job.  Haven't had a chance to try
it, but it sounds sensible.  Like pressing on an engorged breast and having
it soften under your fingertips.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY