From:
Patrick H Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 15:30:15 -0400
   My name is Shawn Callahan.  I have been a WIC Breastfeeding Peer
Counselor for over three years.  I would love to hear any comments any of
you might have on this mother who I am counseling.

   She said that when she was young girl she had some nerve damage to her
breast.  The one side is considerably smaller than the other along with
having an inverted nipple.  Her doctor is telling her that breastfeeding
isn't much of an option for her (what an educated soul).

   I told her that many women have nursed their baby with one breast and
that until the baby comes she shouldn't assume that she can't produce milk
on the injured side.  She seemed very relieved to hear some encouragement.
I told her that  wearing breast shells can help draw out her nipple (she is
only four weeks from being due).  She is quite open to all of my
suggestions.

   I plan on keeping very close contact with her once she delivers the
baby.  Is it true that nerve damage would mostly affect her let down
reflex?  I know each case is very individual but I would welcome any
comments or experience with this type of situation.

Shawn R. Callahan
Breastfeeding Counselor
Warsaw, Indiana