From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 08:09:33 -0800
Vitex is not the most direct galactogogue and in fact it may inhibit milk
production in estrogen-sensitive women.  First, let me say that I have used
this herb myself and recommended it.  It has wonderful effects when used in
combination with wild yam.  However, the research I have uncovered is
contradictory in the actual biochemical function of this herb.  It has
historic uses as a galactogogue, but I'll explain my reasoning as to why it
may not be the best. Vitex (Vitex agnus-castus) or chaste tree acts upon
the all important (to lactation) pituitary gland.  It theoretically
stimulates and normalizes hormonal function.  In the Protocol J. of
Botanical Medicine, Joanne Marie Snow (1996) states that it is a
galactogogue that increases production of lutenizing hormone (LH),
decreases prolactin, and is antibacterial.  It has a corpus-luteum-like
effect and inhibits the release of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH).  LH
stimulates the secretion of progesterone during the luteal phase, therefore
in women who have low progesterone levels, this stimulation leads to a
normal balance between estrogen and progesterone.

  So, what does this mean?  Well, it may normalizes the pituitary such that
it helps lactation  OR it may assist the chain reaction which balances the
progesterone & estrogen production down the line.  If it increases the
proportion of estrogen in this particular woman (and individual women have
different responses to this herb) it could/might actually decrease
prolactin production.  What happens when we decrease prolactin?  Lactation
is usually inhibited.  If this herb is ingested early in the postpartum
period it is likely to interfear with lactation.  Used later on (say after
4-6 months), it probably has little effect on milk production.  It can
improve menstual cycles imbalances and has been clinically demonstrated to
help menstrual disorders due to corpus luteal insufficiency. I Hope this is
clear and  helps.  Do let me know if it
needs further clarification or you have further insights into this herb.

Brown, DJ.  Vitex agnus-castus clinical monograph.  Quarterly Review of
Natural Medicine.  Summer:  111-121. 1994.

Jochle, W.  Menses-inducing drugs:  Their role in antique, medieval, and
renaissagnce gynecology and birth control.  Contraception. 10: 425-439.
1974.

Mohr, H.  Clinical investigation of means to increase lactation.  Dtsch
MEd. Wschr. 79: 1513-16.  1954

Snow, JM.  Monography: Vitex Agnus Catus.  Protocol Journal of Botanical
Medicine. Spring 1986

Weiss, RF.  Herbal Medicine.  Translated by AR Meuss. Beaconsfield,
England. 1988. pp.317-18.

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )