Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:53:25 -0500
From:
R & M Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
I regret reading this late playing catchup after vacation.  Could the
infant have alloimmune thrombocytopenia (ATP)?  That works comparable to
rh factor where the mother's blood in utero causes the baby's platelets
to be destroyed.
All children I have will be born with ATP.  The leading perinatologist
researching this is James Bussel at New York Hospital.  Both of my
surviving children were breastfed no problems.  No one ever mentioned
NOT breastfeeding.  We used IvIgg treatments on my daughter at birth.
Her platelets rose from 12,000 to 40,000 in 2 days to 150,000 the next
day.  My son's platelets went from 200,000 at 22 weeks gestation to
150,000 at 28 weeks gestation to 50,000 at 31 weeks gestation when I
went on IvIgg.  At 34 weeks gestation they were 200,000, and at birth
they were 200,000.  For babies with ATP, if they don't respond to IvIgg,
they give them platelet transfusions from the mother to counteract the
antibodies in the baby.  My understanding of at is that as the mother's
antibodies leave the baby, the platelets will increase on their own.  We
did kangaroo care, breastfed on demand, & my daughter's treatment took
half the normal time.
Mary Biever