Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 14:18:18 -0400
Dear Chanita:

Your last paragraph in a recent post states "I believe (Karin Cadwell and
Edith White) have been "awarded" IBCLC standing, as opposed to sitting for
the exam.  In recognition for their many years of service and study, their
affiliations and the fact that they help write the exam.  But I could be
wrong about that."

Please let me clarify.  Dr. Cadwell and Ms. White were members of the
original Representative Panel of Experts, in 1985, which put together the
first Content Outline, or "blueprint," for the IBLCE Exam, based on the
results of the initial Role Delineation Study.  This group also developed
the initial item bank of exam questions.  Many of these experts were vitally
interested in seeing the field develop, and would have sought the credential
themselves if contact with content had not made that impossible.  Therefore,
all members of the RPE, including Dr. Cadwell and Ms. White, were
"grandfathered" with the credential for a period of five years, to avoid
undue disadvantage.  Upon expiration of the five year period,
"grandfathered" IBCLCs were required to take the exam in order to maintain
certification. The IBLCE is very proud to count Dr. Cadwell and Ms. White
among our certificants, and to see them list the IBCLC credential after
their names.

JoAnne W. Scott, MA, IBCLC
Executive Director, IBLCE
International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners
P O Box 2348
Falls Church  VA  22042-0348
Tele 703-560-7330
Fax 703-560-7332