From:
Lezlie Densmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 14:57:48 -0400
To the all-knowing lactation experts of the world:
  I posted last week, looking for information on breastfeeding and partial
removal of the pituitary gland.  Just in case any of you thought someone else
would answer, I'm going to repost the situation.  I didn't receive a single
response and am at a dead-end for helping this mom.  Even if you just have a
guess on where I might find out more, please let me know!  Thanks so much!

  34 yo, 7 mos pregnant with second baby.  Five yrs ago had transphenoidal
resection of pituitary gland because of growth on pituitary that was
threatening optic nerve (ended up not being a prolactinoma).  Had been having
irregular periods.  Also has Hashimoto's sydrome (thyroid levels OK, but high
antibody titer).
  First baby:  normal preg. irregular contractions during labor.  Baby seemed
to be nursing well at first but developed jaundice (count was in mid 20's)
and was pushed into supplementing with ABM and it was all down hill from
there.  Was able to pump 2 oz on day 4 and continued to nurse with supp. for
2 1/2 months, but could never get milk supply increased enough to discontinue
supp.  Had no support and was told she was not able to nurse because of her
condition.  Still produces some oxytocin and prolactin.

  Question is:  Should she be able to completely bf this baby?  Midwife has
suggested supplementing with glucose water to reassure herself that baby is
getting enough this time.  This doesn't hit her right (me either), any
thoughts?  Does anyone have any references concerning this surgery and
breastfeeding?

Lezlie Densmore, LLLL in Mass.