From:
Judy Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:51:46 -0400
Nancy and all,
     I've always thought there should be a handout for the grandparents of a
BF baby. It's probably a very different experience, in the beginning
especially, grandparenting a baby who is nursing. This pamphlet could be very
upbeat and congratulatory. After all it is more fun to hold a soft-skinned,
cuddly, meaty-thighed and sweet-smelling baby who doesn't need to cry from
the pain of formula-intolerance, constipation, earaches, etc. Of course, BF
is no guarantee that none of these things will ever happen, but this is
obviously a baby's best shot at minimizing them( we all know that some BF
babies cry from certain diet-related things, but how much worse it would be
on artificial mother's milk (AMM?) Grandparents can learn that BF is a
behavior with many long-term benfits for  both their little grandbaby, and
for their smart and determined daughter or daughter-in-law. They can be
helped to see how they can be very helpful in many other ways, even if they
are not feeding the baby themselves, and that 6 months comes pretty quick. I
personally promised my mother-in-law, who lived nearer than my parents and
seemed keen on it, that she would be the FIRST person to offer my son food
when he was ready. Anytime we were at her house I always let her set him up
and watch him at the table. It seemed to help her not feel that we were
excluding her so much. I think a resource for grandparents is a wonderful
idea. Mentioning the NORMAL close bond of a mom and nursling, and some of the
physical, physiological, emotional, cognitive, ecological and financial
benefits (whew, ) would help any grandparent to realize how lucky they are
that their little grandchild is being nursed.  "Your granchild is nursing?
-Congratulations!! He or she is off to a wonderful start...etc"
     I love to write and if you want to toss some ideas around I'd love to be
involved. This is an opportunity to prevent some of the well-meant but
insidious comments which can hurt a new mom's self-confidence. Describing
what BF babies stool look like, -they are not indicative of diarhhea, how
often they need to eat - every two hours does not mean the milk is too thin
or too scanty, how BF is a total sensory experience-babies need close,
frequent contact,etc. not just "food". This would be a great tool to give out
in a prenatal BF class. When I was pregnant with my first, my husband and I
went to a BF class and grandparents were invited free. My in-laws attended
and I think it helped a lot to hear things from someone else besides me, and
to anticipate certain questions and concerns.
                                                   All the best,
                                                  Judy Fram
                                                   Where Peewee baseball
swings into action this