From:
winchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:17:30 -0400
----------
> From: Terry L. Dise, M.D. <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: stinky gas or malodorous flatulence
> Date: Tuesday, June 24, 1997 6:49 PM
>
> A question, oh wise ones.
> What could be the etiology of stinky gas in an exclusively breastfed
infant
> whose stools don't smell, only the gas?  He is not colicky, has normal
seedy
> stools about 4x/day.  I told the mom just "relative" lactose
intolerance,
> and that it would improve with time as his lactase enzyme increases, but
> could there be something else?  Also I told her to try a little
acidophilus,
> if she wants to.
>

> Terry Lynn Dise, MD

Terry, we have recently had an infant in our NICU whose isolette was so
stinky that the nurses nearly fainted when they opened the portholes.
Baby was totally breastmilk-fed.  We took mom off dairy and stools and
isolette atmosphere became tolerable again. I find quite a few babies
intolerant of dairy in mother's diet, usually causing colic, but this was
a clear case of overwhelming odor associated with dairy in mom's diet, but
baby wasn't abnormally fussy.
                        Katie Winchell, BS, IBCLC