From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 07:44:01 -0700
Anna -- I do not know why the doctor has such a dismal outlook.  After all, these babies do survive, and eventually, they start to eat via normal routes.  What could be more beneficial than breastmilk?  He must   percieve it as his job to be pessimistic.

We had an infant born with a gastroschisis within the last six months -- sorry I cannot be more precise on the time, but it is not relevant to the story.  Mom started pumping two hours after her C/S, and pumped every three hours.  The gastroschisis was resolved with minimal intervention and I think mom started breastfeeding within a week -- in the meantime, infant was fed her colostrum, then millk, as soon as oral food was allowed.  I will try to dig up the details -- I hope someone can remember the baby's name.

Sincerely, Chanita

(Off topic -- this is my first response to a post that I am cc'ing to Lactnet, since fixing my delivery system.  If it does not come out correctly, oh guardians and lactnet cohorts, please let me know.)