From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 07:31:21 +0800
Hi everyone
I saw a case today that has me stumped, and I thought I would ask you
all for some ideas.
I first saw this mother and baby one week postpartum - mum has flat
nipples and wanted help with attachment. Things worked out really
well and baby fed like a champ.
Baby is now 7 weeks old and for the last week has changed into a
terrible feeder. She latches, sucks a few times, slurps in lots of
air, falls off the breast, latches, sucks, falls off...... over and
over again. Eventually she either gets enough, finally feeds
'properly' or gives up due to gas and frustration.
Mothers breasts haven't changed in firmness, milk production and rate
of flow seem unchanged, no medications, no change in diet, no
thrush, not bottles or dummies (pacifiers). Baby seems alert and
active - keen to feed but seems to have forgotten how!! The rest of
her muscle tone is fine, and she is smiling and happy.  Mother has
tried different feeding positions, expressing before feeds, using a
'breast sandwich' to help latch,  with no avail. Any suggestions?  I
can't figure out why this little one is having so much trouble.

Hoping for suggestions!

Fiona

Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician
Perth Western Australia