From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 1997 20:06:31 -0600
I haven't gotten much written lately and I know the discussion of water
supplementation is essentially over, but I wanted to say something about
that concerning adoptive nursing.

Some adoptive mothers and/or LCs feel that adding extra water to the
contents of the nursing supplementer is a good way to increase milk
production by making the baby nurse longer.

I do not, in general, think this is a good idea.  I tell people that it
should definitely not be done with a newborn or with any baby whose
weight gain is at all of concern.  Even if a baby's weight gain has been
good, if the extra water routine is undertaken, only a tiny bit of extra
water should be used and his weight should be watched carefully.  Some
babies may nurse enough to make up the calories and some will not.  (I
imagine all of us have seen emaciated babies whose mothers have given
them bottles of water in order to hold them over until a more convenient
time to nurse.)

For many adoptive mothers, there is a nagging feeling of inadequacy over
lack of milk production, despite the fulfillment of the nurturing, and
the realization that whatever breastmilk there is is much better than
nothing. (I know, because I struggle with it too!)  This can set some
moms up for trouble.  I know someone who could not accept the idea that
her adopted daughter would need more than two ounces of formula per
feeding in addition to her breastmilk.  She had heard from sources she
respected that giving extra water was alright, so she decided that, when
the baby was still hungry after the two ounces of formula was gone,
which she always was, she could have nothing more but water in the
supplementer.  This baby was  very uptight, and completely refused the
breast by about ten months, despite the efforts of her mother, a LLL
Leader, to keep her nursing.  I think she had just come to view nursing
with frustration because she had to work so hard at it to be satisfied.

Aloha,
Darillyn