From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:35:29 +0900
Helena Boutal wrote:
>I think Truby King said ' wean at 9 months', meaning to start solids. In some
>case this has been interpreted as meaning *stop breastfeeding at 9 months*.

Just a small point here - I have one of Truby King's books (inherited from
my mother who followed his instructions :-( ). He recommended weaning to
begin between the 9th and 10th month and be completed by the end of the
11th month. He definitely meant replacing breastfeeding, and not
introduction of solids, from the description of how to go about it. He made
mention of solids that should be started with a bone to chew on, and
strained food at 6 months, and other 'hard food' between 7 and 8 months,
provided teeth have started to come through.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]