Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Lisa Marasco, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:19:01 -0400
>This formula has its place; for babies with primary lactase deficiency,
>and for temporary use with babies fed on cow's milk formulas who develop
>lactose intolerance due to an intestinal infection.

Ok, help me out here.  After reading Katherine Dettwyler's work on
lactose and enzymes, it sounds to me like it is impossible for babies to
have primary lactase deficiency when lactose is the major sugar of human
milk. I realize that this dx is made all the time, but haven't we pretty
much determined that the real situation is lactose overload (in
breastfeeding) and/or protein allergy (for milk/soy fed babies)?  I don't
know how often lactose intolerance develops secondarily from an
intestinal infection, but from what I'm reading, there is no real market
for this product except to fill the niche of perceived intolerances?

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC