From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 08:21:57 -0500

<< I'm a little confused about medications and breastfeeding.  I have a
 mom who is taking Paxil and according to the information I have found
 it is contradindicated with breastfeeding.  Please help, have I gotten
 the wrong information?????

In the next edition of "Clinical Issues in Lactation", (which went out in the
mail Monday 3/17 for subscribers) our own Dr. Hale has written an article
about antidepressants, etc & bf.  His statement:

"No data is currently available on the transfer of Paxil into human milk."
 there are only four studies available describing the use of Prozac and one
of Zoloft. His final recommendation is, "At this time using the data provided
in the literature, it would seem prudent to avoid Prozac and instead use
Zolft although this is based on preliminary data that is somewhat premature."

Jan Barger
http://members.aol.com/bsccenter