From:
Lisa A Shumate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:11:38 EST
I just thought I'd add my personal experience to the pot on the subject
of acne and breastfeeding.  I have had cystic acne since my early 20's.
It became severe with each of my pregnancies.  I have been treated with
oral antibiotics (last trimester and 8 mo. postpartum with first),
topical antibiotics, cortisone injections and tretinoin while pregnant
(except 1st trimester) and breastfeeding all three of my children.  Each
time my dermatologist has thought it would require more aggressive
treatment (isotretinoin) to resolve and it did not.  The only time I have
had major flare-ups while breastfeeding is the first couple months after
resumption of my menstrual cycle.  Not once has it been suggested that I
wean for acne treatment and I have breastfed each of my children a
minimum of two years.  Isotretinoin was only mentioned as a possible
treatment if the condition had not resolved by the time weaning had
occurred.

My current dermatologist did state that topical treatment is of limited
use when treating severe cystic acne, that the oral route was much more
effective.

Lisa Shumate
LLLL and ICCE in Auburndale, FL
Home page <www.concentric.net/~shumate>