From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:09:08 -0800
When I did a literature review on metoclopramide in 1993 (it can't really
be 4 years ago??) I found studies that showed an increase in milk
production when women took 30-45 mg daily for 7 -10 days, but not
increasing supply if women took it longer. Have studies since then looked
at women taking it for weeks or months? I was not aware of reports of
depression associated with metoclopramide, but of course this is possible
as we are looking at altered brain metabolism. Tom Hale's book says
"Long-term use of this medication (>2 weeks) is generally not
recommended".
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC, Melbourne, Australia (home of Oscar-winning Geoffery Rush).