From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 20:51:56 -0800
<What is your experience with the etiology of breast abscess?

Usually there is a history of mastitis about 2 weeks previously.
Occassionally the mastitis was not noticed. This woman may have
attributed her symptoms to the candida infection. (I give all my thrush
patients info on mastitis, so they know the difference and what to do).

<Following surgery to drain an abscess, on resumption of bf, should it be
necessary for a mother to wash her breast and nipple prior to each
nursing?

Usually there is no need to stop feeding following treatment of an
abscess. Washing the breast and nipple isn't necessary.
If someone has widespread staph infections (like someone I saw today who
has had boils in vulva and axilla, styes and infection inside her nose
and is up to her 3rd bout of mastitis in 4 weeks) would need more
anti-staph treatment than simply washing (eg Bactroban daily inside nose,
Phisohex washes for several weeks). It doesn't sound like the woman with
the abscess needs this.
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia