From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 06:08:32 -0500
Friends.  I received this early this am.  I know that many times, Lactnet
posts are printed off and put up in staff nurses bathrooms, on office doors,
etc...and the intent is to share and educate.  However, this is something
that happened to this Lactnetter, and it gives us cause for concern.
Please, consider the ramifications of this when you do it.

This is an excerpt from the Lactnet WELCOME note.
_______________________________________________-

You may see something that someone has posted to LACTNET that you wish to
share in another context, such as a newsletter, etc. What you post on
LACTNET has the effect of being placed on the front page of the NY Times.
This means you MUST secure written (via e-mail or hard copy) permission of
the original poster of the message in order to share it in some other
context. This is both polite and ethical, AND enables you to credit the
originator of the message. We, the co-owners of LACTNET, expect that all
subscribers will honor this official announcement and recommendation. Thank
you.

Kathleen
Today I received a post from a mother in Maine whose baby has
rhabdomyosarcoma.  Months ago (last spring, I think) a student nurse posted
on Lactnet asking what this tumor was, and I had responded on Lactnet.  She
apparently shared my response with the mother, who now is writing to ask me
to advise on her child's nutrition.  I do not have the original posts or
know the details of this baby's situation and care, or even his current
age, and I do not feel qualified or able to advise over the e-mail in any
case.  I have encouraged the mother to share her questions and concerns
with the doctors, nurses and dietician caring for her child.  I feel for
this mother, who so desperately wants to do all she can for her baby.  But
I feel I've been put in a very uncomfortable position.

Could you gently remind Lactnetters that giving out our names to mothers
needing help somewhere across the country is not done?  You have stated it
very nicely in the past.  Perhaps it's time for a reminder.

Thanks so much.  You do a great job!  I have learned so much from you!
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,Corgi-L,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html