From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 16:31:21 -0800
Becket:  You wrote:
" Although the two overlap, we are always saying that
breastfeeding is a health choice, not a life style choice. If the mother
comes to me as a LLLL, that's different, that is a parenting style. "

I have to say that while I personally agree with you, you're not quite on
the mark in terms of LLL philosophy.  Leaders are NOT supposed to "mix
causes," which includes the issue of attachment parenting.  We may speak in
terms of how different parenting styles affect breastfeeding, but we are
not supposed to advocate for any particular style of parenting, sleeping,
birthing, eating, schooling, etc.  This mixing of issues gets many Leaders
in hot water because many of us see these as very inter-related; however,
it is also these very same issues that sometimes get LLL labeled as
"radical" by the general public.  This image turns some mothers off to the
degree that they won't even consider breastfeeding because they think they
have to do all the other things too.  I do think it is important for the
rest of the Lactnetters to know that LLLI does NOT have a position on any
of these issues:  family bed, attachment parenting, immunization, birth
style/location, vegetarianism.  Just because some Leaders are vegetarians,
who have had home births, home school their kids, don't immunize, etc. does
not mean that the organization favors these or even that the majority of
Leaders feel this way.  In fact, LLL Leaders are probably as diverse as
Lactnet  subscribers.

'Stepping down from my unofficial soap box, which brings me from 5'2" to ?
Chris

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )             **CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**