From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 09:21:29 -0600
> I have decided to build my own bee vacuum instead of buying one! I am
> perforating a 5 gal bucket with many small holes in the bottom, then
> inserting it into another bucket. A bee collection hose leads into the lid, a
> vacuum hose from the bottom bucket creates suction to draw the swarm into the
> perforated bucket. Vacuum pressure generated by a reversed leaf blower.
> Comments?

We have built a number over the years, and even hasd an article published
in the now defunct Canadian Bee Journal 20 or so years ago (FWIW).

We've used various designs and vacuum sources, and the main tips are:

Have some way of controlling the vacuum so that you use only the necessary
amount of pull so that the bees do not travel faster than necessary.

Avoid sharp bends in the intake hose and rough inner surface.  Consider an
intake nozzle - like a crevice tool for picking up stragglers - and use
the full open hose end for the bulk of the bees.  The crevice tool
concentrates the airflow at the intake and reduces the air speed inside
the hose.

If the suction line into the box is not in the line of bee travel, a
simple small 6 mesh screen will do on the vacuum line.

Have some way of cushioning the arrival of the bees if they are coming in
fast.  We used a cloth.

The simplest I ever built was a 5 gallon pail with two 2-1/2 inch or so
holes in the lid.  One held the intake hose and the other held the
screened vacuum hose.  Since the bees came in beside the vacuum location
in the lid and momentum carried them to the bottom, there were few on the
screen.  An occasional thump on the bottom ensured that they stayed down.

I guess the most important tip is that you cannot keep bees in there long
once the airflow is stopped.  Best to dump them into something that
allows them to breath ASAP.

Allen