From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 09:04:18 -0600
> I have several drums of syrup that the bees did not take it the fall.  These
> were covered and left in the bee yard over the winter.  There has been some
> fermentation.

If conditions are right, bees seem to take slightly fermented syrup
without problems.  Once the weather turns hot and the bees are strong they
take it away.

Alcohol naturally evaporates easily, and if the syrup is placed in your
shallow open feeders in the sun, little alcohol will be left after a day
or two.  Of course there will be some yeasts left in the syrup, but
brewers yeast is good for bees, so I would assume that these yeasts would
not be harmful.

We have driven off alcohol by heating the drum a bit with a torch, but
have wondered if there is damage to the syrup, and don't do that any more.

Allen