From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 20:04:53 -0700
 Tony & Val, I tried sending this directly to you, but your server says your
discs are full.  Are you running behind on your digests?. . If so, putting this in
a digest now may not help at all -- but this way I don't have to keep trying to
resend it.

Several suggestions -- which I am sure other lactnetters will send you as well:

Start mom pumping q2-3 hours, to make up for the lack of stimulation
before now.  It is not too late. Expect a slow build-up of supply with the
great blood loss.  Hopefully mom is already on iron supplements and a
good diet.

Have baby skin/skin with mom as much as possible.   I like to put these
 with babies' heads at about mom's navel, mom on her back and
semi-semi-fowler -- like about 20-30 degrees -- to encourage and facilitate
 going back to the original physiologic "crawl-up".   (In a video on
breastfeeding, I saw a baby, possibly a week old or more, and only bottle
fed at that point, in bath with mum in the above described position, letting
 babe be "reborn" and reinitiating those crawling up behaviors.  It took
  several hours, but the baby did attach.)

Let baby suck on mom's finger right next to breast, to associate sucking
 with flesh not latex, and to associate suckling with this position.

Offer breast before any feeds -- encourage any kind of nuzzling, sucking
even if it's not "suckling," maybe with SNS to get the kid to get the idea
that food and contentment comes at the breast.

I am not fond of offering dilute concoctions.  The exception being mixing
EBM and ABM with an SNS.   I am even less fond of sugar water -- if a
baby needs to eat, I feel it needs food, not sugar .  But  Jack Newman
does put sugar-water in his supplementation decision tree.

If this mom does indeed have retained placental fragments, you may not
get much milk until the fragments are expelled or removed.

Good luck.  Chanita, San Francisco