From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:22:49 -0900
Hi, all. I have been nomail for a long time because of personal stresses,
but would like to request if anyone has any information on the following,
would they please email me privately.

Recently, I have heard from several women who delivered babies weighing
4000 g or more, and were told that they must supplement breastfeeding
with formula. Some were told that they should do this because their
babies were "big" and "needed more food than the mothers had". Last
night, I spoke with a mom pIII who had breastfed the older 2 for over a
year each, who apparently asked more questions when told to supplement
her 4200 g newborn. She was vague about what she was told, but it had
something to do with possible gestational diabetes and controlling the
baby's sugar intake. It sounded weird and without foundation to me, since I
know that they do NOT test content of mother's milk here. I do NOT know
and the moms did not know if the babies were hypoglycemic.
Opinions, please? Should I be aware of some research? Reference, please?

TIA to everyone and anyone with an answer to this annoying intervention.

Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva