From:
Valerie Banarie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 17:09:27 -0500
Subject:  Religious circumcision

Hello, let me just say that as a Jew, the only reason I would ever consider
circumcision for my own son (Thank God I have only daughters) would be for
religious reasons.  I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I never considered
the removal of a clitoris as as religious rite, and wonder if it is truelly
required of the religion (as is circumcision in Judaism) or is more a custom
or matter of control in those cultures that practice it.  I mean this with no
disrespect whatsoever, and only ask the questions out of ignorance.

As for the Jewish tradition, the circumcision must be done on the 8th day of
the baby's life, and this timing is as important as anything else about it.
 Only in very rare cases- such as illness in the child or prematurity- can it
be postponed.  I have seen Mohels (the person who conducts ritual
circumcisions) insist on waiting longer if the baby was too jaundiced or had
some other medical condition.  The health of the baby is always of primary
importance.  I'm sure that it has been argued that circumcision is not  in
the best interests of the baby's health, but this is for each Jewish family
to decide, as well as all parents who debate: To Circ or Not to Circ.

As a postpartum nurse in a busy hospital, I have seen babies strapped to the
"circ" board, naked and crying for as much as 30 minutes before the
obstetrician came in to do the circ.  It tends to be a very difficult time
for the baby, stressfull as well as painful.  By contrast, I have also
attended many a Bris-the ritual circumcision, done in the family's home, with
the baby laying on the lap of the grandfather or other person of distinction.
 As this is all the Mohel does, they are very quick, the baby is prepared
immediately prior to the procedure as opposed to waiting for the doctor or
whoever, and during the procedure is given a gauze square dipped in wine (a
drop or two only-do we need to discuss the wisdom of this also?) held by the
mother or father for the baby to suck on.  Typically there is very little
bleeding, distress or even much crying on the part of the baby, who is always
handed to the mother immediately after the site is dressed.  The mother is
always encouraged to breastfeed the baby at that point if she is doing so.
 The vast majority of these babies will nurse wonderfully when offered the
breast. Ultimately, removal of the foreskin is removal of the foreskin, but I
would like to propose that we shift our debate some as to how we can make the
ordeal of circumcision less awful for the baby, and use our energies where we
can make a difference.   That would include educating all parents, so that
they can make an informed choice, and also working to change those practices
that add to the stress and discomfort of the circ for the baby.  I do not
mean to imply that all circumcisions should be done by Mohels, but there are
definately some things surrounding the procedure that could be changed to
decrease the baby's pain and stress.

While I would suggest we always show respect for a person's religious beliefs
( and this is where my own soul searching must occur if clitoridectomy is in
truth a religious requirement, I suspect I feel the same way you all do about
it, and how some of you feel about the Bris ceremony)  I would not, and have
not, refrained from describing the procedure to childbirth classes, even
knowing that some of the participants were Jewish and were going to have it
done anyway, any more than I would avoid teaching about the values of
breastfeeding to a prenatal class to avoid offending those who choose to feed
ABM.

I apologize if I have been too long-winded, or if the information shared has
been redundant.  I am new to Lacnet, and learn alot.  I hope I can teach as
well.