From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 22:03:48 -0500
I agree with Kim that we need more family friendly birth centers..You are so
right, also about the mentoring and education that needs to be done.  It is
crucial...

-----------------------------
I feel we need to continue to make the hospital delivery areas  and staff
"Family Centered".  Keep educating, mentoring one person at a time, if need
be, to create the best of both worlds. The percentage of infant/maternal
deaths that occure may be small but one is too many.
There are a few points in which,  I am afraid , that I must disagree with
you, kindly, from a personal standpoint.  This is me speaking as just
me..not as listowner, etc.. just my personal opinion, spawned from my own
birth experiences.

 I have 3 daughters. I am also an RN, BSN,..etc. bla bla bla..[not that this
*ever* helped me, mind you]  .and my first two daughters were born in the
hospital. Their births were full of interventions, and needless
complications arose from those interventions....I am convinced that a
resident was taught to use forceps on me..and in the process, screwed up and
gave me an infection that almost did me in....of course, the forceps were
needed after the epidural that I didn't need, ...etc. ...ie in my opinion,
the hospital environment can also be dangerous.

 My third daugher was born at home, not because I wanted to be at home,[I
sorely wished for a birth center where I could be sure that I would have
received support that didn't involve hooking me up to drugs.]....but because
the hospital was more dangerous to me than than my own home, with 3 midwives
in attendance.  With my first birth, the interventions landed me an
infection the size of New York , 3rd degree lacerations, and  a 2 week
hospital stay for infection and sepsis.  For my second, the doctor pulled on
the placenta and broke it, cause he was in a hurry, and it was late....and I
bled a LOT....and the resulting intervention to get the rest of itout I
wouldn't wish on my worst enemy...  Need I say more?  It's a good thing I
was in the hospital, because after these births,  I then *needed* one due to
the screw ups.

Just to let you know that I feel strongly here, and I am trying to
appreciate all sides of this...oh for wonderful birth centers where birth is
treated as a normal experience, and not a medical event waiting to
happen......there are other issues here, and  yes, if a baby is lost at
home, this is a *terrible* tragedy.  There are victims from hospital births
also, though, and I personally can attest that many breastfeeding
relationships  are lost, victim to hospital intervention that is
unnecessary, untried, and *dangerous.*  I spend most of my time fixing
screw ups where I live, of the medical establishment, of which I am a
dubious participant.

Sorry. THis is not a personal thing..this note strikes a chord in me that is
personally painful.

Kathleen
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,Corgi-L,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html