From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 18:44:01 -0500
Sorry to disagree with the physician, but I do not agree that
ciprofloxacin is contraindicated during lactation.  There is a study in
the Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 1992;11:1043-6 called "Role of
the new quinolones in pediatric practice".  The author, Urs B. Schaad,
states the following:

"Our clinical, magnetic resonance imagineg and histopathologic
monitoring of ciprofloxacin use, together with the published experiences
of other groups suggest that the quinolone antibiotics *do not* cause
arthropathy in humans".  Arthropathy in young animals was the initial
reason that the quinolones were "contraindicated" in young children.
Let us not forget, though, that the baby will only get tiny amounts in
the milk.  Note this article was published in 1992, and nobody pays
attention to it. The author gives other supportive references as well.

By the way, it is not always necessary to treat shigellosis with
antibiotics.  Only severe or persistent cases.

Finally, I am surprised that you found nothing in the archives.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC