Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Hotheaded Red <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 17:52:07 -0500
At 05:09 PM 3/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>the removal of a clitoris as as religious rite, and wonder if it is truelly
>required of the religion (as is circumcision in Judaism) or is more a custom
>or matter of control in those cultures that practice it.  I mean this with no
>disrespect whatsoever, and only ask the questions out of ignorance.

According to my sitter's husband from India where this is fairly common
among the Moslems, a female who is *not* 'circumcised' is not considered
marriageable.  As far as I knew it was religiously decreed, but someone
else posted that it is not an official "law" as it is in Judaism.   But it
is 'required' just the same if a woman is to be considered 'clean' and
worthy of marriage.  He also mentioned the fact that it isn't really a
'choice' anyways considering it is inflicted upon young children.

>As for the Jewish tradition, the circumcision must be done on the 8th day of
>the baby's life, and this timing is as important as anything else about it.
> Only in very rare cases- such as illness in the child or prematurity- can

This is why I was questioning the fact that someone felt we were
critisizing religious circ- it *has* to be done at a certain time-
regardless of hundrance of breastfeeding.

>While I would suggest we always show respect for a person's religious beliefs

Ah but here is the double edged sword- what about in the case of the
Ezzo's?  We are of course asking them to go against their firmly held
beliefs regarding their babies.....

>done anyway, any more than I would avoid teaching about the values of
>breastfeeding to a prenatal class to avoid offending those who choose to feed
>ABM.

Ah, but describing the procedure, as opposed to actually discouraging it as
we do with ABM feeding, is not exactly very compelling.  At any rate, I
have to say that informing parents of the fact that circumcision can and
does interfere with breastfeeding on occasion is of more relevance to the
list and to the childbirth educators who get first 'crack' at both of these
issues.

Heidi
Mommy to Peyton Quinn (12-20-94)
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2765