From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 19:29:40 -0800
 Incontinence affects a large number of childbearing age women during
pregnancy, immediately following and for a smaller number forever.  In the
post-partum and lactational ammenorrhea period estrogen levels are low and
progesterone  is rebalancing.  This is thought to reduce skin and soft
tissue tone, while at the same time, relaxin levels may still be high.  The
combination of the two can cause women to leak urine upon sneezing,
laughing, heavy lifting, etc.  Kegel exercises performed throughout
pregnancy and life-long can strengthen perineal muscles and help prevent
some incontinence.  The hormone issue may be solvedthrough ingestion of
non-prescription wild yam capsules or non-prescription wild yam cream.  I
can supply individuals with more info if they email me privately.

There are other causes of incontinence, however...such as UTIs, STDs,
chronic PID, cancer, and prolapsed uterus.  I'm assuming this doctor would
have checked these out.  There is a support foundation to help women:
Simon Foundation for Continence 800-23-SIMON, and a book Managing
Incontinence:  A Guide to Living with Loss of Bladder Control.  BTW, I
don't keep all this info in my head...I use it for teaching my Women's
Health class.
Chris

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )             **CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**