From:
Liz Flight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:20:24 -0500

>From:    "Jessica Donahue,RN." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Sour Smelling Milk
>I have a mom who is bf a 8 month old and says the daycare workers told her
>some bottles of milk she has sent have a sour smell.  This baby has never
>been a great bottle feeder and  occasionally refuses it and mom goes and
>feeds at lunch.  She is collecting and storing safely according to the
>guidelines I gave her from the Medela tear sheet.  The milk that they say
>smells sour has not been frozen but has been kept cold and is 48 hours old
by

Is she storing it in the door of the fridge?  Is her fridge maintaining
proper temps? She could start with a fridge thermometer,  make sure the milk
is in the back(coldest part) of the fridge.  Walk her through step by step.
Have also readin Dr. Lawrence about lipolysis making milk sour.  Apparently
some moms have a lot of lipase in their milk, it starts breaking down the
lipids and thus the sour smell.  I'm not sure, look it up, it requires some
type of heat treatment to arrest the process.