From:
Katharine West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 00:42:32 -0700
> Colostrum is FIRST  milk, not PRE-MILK or NON-milk.

I had to laugh at this anguished posting from our dearly respected
co-mother of Lactnet, for it reminds me of probably several hundred
identical converstions I have had in L&D recovery rooms with our
Hispanic moms who were holding wide-eyed, rooting and fisting 1-hour old
or younger infants. (My apologies in advance to fluent Spanish speakers
in the audience, for all the Spanish I have learned, I learned in
Obstetrical units!) When pointed out that the baby was hungry, every mom
said to me "No tengo leche" (I have no milk). I have long since learned
there was no arguing this, as what would I say in 3 days when she knows
"something" comes "in". (Was it "out" to begin with, I wonder?) So I
always replied, "Si, pero, tiene colostra, la muy especial primera
leche!" (Yes, but you have colostrum, a very special first milk) and
proceeded to express a drop or two for her to see. Once she saw it, is
was too hard to argue with her own body and a contented nursling at her
breast a few minutes later!!

P.S. In regards to my poor Spanish language training, I finally had one
mother take me into her confidence and tell me that, for months I
realized, I had been doing baby rounds asking new mothers "Have you
eaten your baby?" rather than what I thought "Has your baby eaten?"
Something about the past tense and pronouns in Spanish...to this day, I
hesitate when asking that question...

Katharine West, BSN, MPH
Sherman Oaks, CA