From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 16:04:17 -0400
Carol, reassure your teenage son that you are bragging about him to 1200 people, that we all understand, and tolerate his eyes rolling. He can consider it payback for his embarrasing YOU by wanting to BF in public somewhere when he was a baby. Remind him that your lactation work is paying his guitar lessons (or hockey club, soccer cleats, car insurance, etc...). You can tell him that I wore my "Ask me about Breastfeeding" button to High School Parents Night a few years back, and my son (then 17) didn't bat an eyelash. In fact, said son contributed one of the Slogans in my SloganPack.

You could even consider it part of your parental duty, sort of an immunization program. If we don't embarrass our kids gently and in small doses, how will they ever learn to tolerate world-class embarrasment later on when they lock their keys in the car at the airport or walk into an important meeting with toilet paper stuck to their shoe?

Linda Smith, in a punchy mood today and only half serious,
Dayton OH