From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 07:33:55 -0700
Darillyn Starr wrote:

 A while back, I started writing on getting an older baby to take the
 breast.  I did not ever see it in a digest though, so I am reposting it
 after this.

 Once the baby seems fairly comfortable and secure in his new
 surroundings, start working toward getting him to take a wide based
 bottle nipple with the feeding tube of a supplementer positioned
through the hole in it.  To do this, use a new nipple with a small
hole.  Do not do anything to enlarge the hole.  It needs to be tight so
that the tube will stay in place.  Get a very large needle and thread
the feeding tube through it, then pull it through the nipple hole and
position the tube so that it is extended through no more than one
millimeter.

 The objective is to feed the baby with the bottle nipple positioned
 directly over the breast.  The nipples that work the best for this are
 the wide-based, ortho nipples designed for bottles that use plastic bag
 inserts, or the nipple to the Avent bottle, but be sure to get the kind
 that have only one hole in them.  These nipples cover the breast better
 and do not collapse when the baby suck on them without the bottle
 attached.  If the baby has not been taking one of these type bottles,
it may first be necessary to give him one for a while before attempting
the supplementer tube/bottle nipple combination.  Either the SNS or
Lact-Aid can be used for this purpose.

 To use the tube/nipple combination, start out holding the baby as he is
 accustomed to for bottle feeding.  Put the nipple in his mouth and let
 him start sucking.  It he objects or wants to play with it because it
is different, put it on top of a bottle, put it in his mouth and then
try to remove the bottle once he has settled down and started sucking.

 With the tube/nipple in his mouth, turn him toward the breast.  The
 objective is to get him to accept being in the exact position as for
 nursing, with the mother's breast exposed in the way she would for
 nursing, so that the only difference is that he has a bottle nipple in
 his mouth, rather than flesh.  This position is so intimate, that many
 babies who have been traumatized are frightened by it, so getting the
 baby comfortable with it is a big step.  I, as well as other mothers,
 have felt a great sense of relief just having the baby in this
 position.

 Once I got to this point with Julia, I decided not to try to make
 anymore changes for a while and kept feeding her with the tube/nipple
 for a week or so before I tried to make any other changes.

 I will write more on this later, so that this post will not take up the
 entire digest!

 Aloha,
 Darillyn