Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Jeanette F. Panchula" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 23:18:15 EDT
I had a great meeting with the "junta" of our grant.  I have become "enamored"
of the new concept of the woman executive as the builder of  _Webs_  instead of
_Pyramids_ .  In other words, (sorry to the men on the lactnet, but actually I
think you're different just in the manner you participate - you prove to be the
exception to the rule...) whereas men executives tend to climb pyramids,
stepping on each other to get ahead, women tend to build webs around themselves
- each helping the other and reaching out and creating a stronger organization
in which all benefit and no one is "below" someone else.

So - we invited everyone we could think of to this meeting - many didn't come,
but the interesting thing was the strength in each one who did come - from the
executive directors of two (very competitive) hospitals to the prenatal class
instructors, pediatricians, WIC staff, Educator from a clinic, La Leche League,
Accountant (my particular Angel as I have NO knowledge about accounting) and the
head of an advertising agency.  What fun!  Ideas and solutions offered to
problems I posed - but as I was speaking to people OTHER than LC's - I got very
different and original suggestions - and offers of help.

They felt that there has been great emphasis on educating the moms about
breastfeeding benefits and our project and the Graduate School of Public Health
have been working hard  to reach the Health Care Professionals (I thing Dr.
Parrilla told me they had eduated over 1,750 HCP's in the last 18 months), but
those attending suggested a shift in emphasis to the moms support system
(husband, mother, sister, etc.).  They have seen that moms are convinced that
breastfeeding is best, but when they stub their toe (or get sore nipples), the
family is quick to offer "help" in the form of bottlefeeding "so she can get
some rest" or "to give her a break".

So - question - has anyone written material we could use (translate) or have any
suggestions on what to say?

I was planning on starting with the "10 steps for dad" which I had translated
from Spanish for you earlier this year - and I have a "letter to dad" from baby,
but would appreciate some suggestions (short, as the material necessarily
shouldn't be wordy) on ways to reach grandma, friends and relatives.

We should really start with something for Father's Day, but I guess this is too
late to publish.  I guess the World Breastfeeding Week, even though the theme is
Ecology, could be used as an excuse for family and friends to participate in an
Ecologically sound activity - help a mother breastfeed and give the cows a
rest!!!

Well, any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, IBCLC
Puerto Rico