Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Jeanette F. Panchula" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 20:19:46 EST
Reading Maurreen Minchin's (out of context but very valuable) statement about
how we treat those who are not of our "culture" right after reading - yes I
FINALLY got it - Molly Pessl's Guest Editorial in JHL of December 1996 made me
realize that those who have been in breastfeeding
education/consulting/training/etc. for a long time are giving us the same
messages:

1. Don't assume you know everything - even the strongest rule i.e. don't use
nipple shields - may be changed and you need to be professional enough to change
with it.

2. If you aren't willing to listen and learn from your patients (Ezzo)  and
others who don't agree with you (cup feeding, digital suck exams, suck training,
nipple shields) , you may be missing a great opportunity to grow.

The sign of the true professional seems to be the one who is so sure of her own
competence that she is willing to experiment, realizing she doesn't know
everything.

Another vein that Molly Pessl brought to the forefront of my consciousness is
that much of what we teach is not written in stone - and we need to be VERY
concious of how much of what we teach the new moms are not rules but philosophy.
In fact, in my classes I'm trying to bring things up that may be controversial
to the mom's culture saying things like "It is my philosphy to respond to my
babies right away - so they don't learn that the need to SCREAM for everything."
In this way at least they hear me explain my rationale, decide to agree or not
as they wish, but not feel they have to swallow everything I say, hook,  line
and sinker in order to breastfeed.

It was only 15-20  years ago I was  teaching to "toughen up" nipples -
remembering this is enough to get me off my "know-it-all" soapbox.

Jeanette Panchula, BA-SW,LLLL, RN, IBCLC
Puerto Rico