Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:54:54 +0000
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]>
>It is the pain , first of all, that shocks most new mothers. "Like
>razor blades in your breasts," ..."hot needles" ..."I cried...I
>cried! I cried!"... Most women do. "I should win an award for
>breastfeeding because I went through such hell"... Her nipples
>developed sores. The sores got infected. "The worst part was when the
>baby would latch on I would scream in pain. I know so many people who
>didn't stick it out because it was hard."

The problem with the above is that it is true - whether we like it
or not, this is the experience of many mothers.  Excruciating pain.
It is not good press for breastfeeding, but it is the truth.

These mothers turn to the breastfeeding books and they find their
experienced dismissed thus:
"Expect some nipple tenderness in the early days."
"Even though sore nipples can be very uncomfortable, they are
certainly no reason to miss out on the pleasures of breastfeeding."
"Taking care with latch-on, plus a little time and patience, are
all that is needed to solve the problem."
"There is no need to put anything on your nipples except a little
hind milk."
"As the days go by the skin on your nipples will become tougher and
more pain resistant."

The mother then consults a health professional who may well leave her
feeling guilty for getting "sore nips" in the first place because,
tut tut, she has not been positioning and latching *correctly*.

Too often I see the pain of sore and damaged nipples addressed
condescendingly and dismissively in  breastfeeding literature which
should know better.  This can be the worst pain a mother will *ever*
experience.  She needs heaps of understanding. When these mothers
abandon breastfeeding they will give it bad press. Sadly, it is not
hard to find quotes like those in the Daily News.

While I in no way condone the Daily News article, which sounds
completely negative and out of  balance, let's not forget that the
experiences described are real and should not be dismissed in our
enthusiastic rush to promote breastfeeding in warm, glowing terms.

Ros Escott IBCLC
Tasmania, Australia