From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:03:20 -0600
Chris asked:
>>One question regarding>> .......>>charging for NICU bm storage
bottles...DO THEY CHARGE PARENTS PER BOTTLE FOR FORMULA-fed babies??  This
may be blatantly apparent to some of you, but knowing how much abm
companies "donate" in the name of marketing, I was wondering if the babies
in the NICU are charged per bottle if they don't get breastmilk.
BewiLLLdered,>>

Chris, it is already much more expensive for a breastfeeding mother to have
a baby in
NICU than for a bottle feeder.  She must rent a pump (often not paid for by
insurance
company, sometimes if paid for it is only the rental, not the kit, often
even if rental
is paid for by the insurance company it is only during the hospitalization
and many
moms need them for some time after baby comes home, especially now that
smaller and
smaller babies are being sent home.  Meanwhile, in the 3 hospitals I have
worked in NICU
in, certainly there is NO charge for bottles (nor is there any charge for
any other patient
meal), at least not to the patient.  The difference, of course, is the
hospital does have
costs related to other meals but the formula is free to them.

Disgusted in Maryland,
Carla