From:
Jacky Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 14:43:12 -0800
> From:    Deborah V Barr <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: home v. hospital birth
>
> If a mom chooses to deliver in the hospital, what can she do to ensure
> that she does not face all of the horrible interventions many of you have
> spoken of?  Because the majority of women still deliver in hospitals,
> shouldn't we be helping them to be advocates for themselves?  Isn't this
> also an important message to share?
>
> How can breastfeeding advocates reach women *before* delivery to
> help them to be successful *after* delivery (even when it is in a
> hospital)?

I teach natural childbirth classes, The Bradley@ Method, and one of the
key components of the classes is consumerism, knowing options and what
to expect in advance, as well as breastfeeding advocacy and some basic
info. about breastfeeding.  If all woman were able to take comprehensive
classes during pregnancy, it would certainly be helpful.

Jacqueline Myers, AAHCC
Laguna Hills, CA